The best way to protect all of our little rays of sunshine is to make sure they are not in the sun too long and to try to keep them in the shade as much as possible.
All clothing provides someprotection against the sun's rays, but many factors play a role in terms of how much protection from the sun a fabric offers. Examples include colour, type of fabric and fibre quality, as well as the fabric's structure and density.
For example, a white cotton shirt offers a UV protection factor of UPF 2-10. whilst our "UV swimwear" has a UPF 50 rating which means it protects against 98 per cent of the sun's rays, which is the highest possible in a fabric.
OTHER IDEAS FOR GOOD SUN PROTECTION
- Babies should not be exposed to sunlight or excessively high temperatures. Protect them with a sun hat, parasol and clothing. If you are outdoors in the middle of the day, preferably sit under a parasol for maximum protection. Remember that prams can easily get hot, so be sure to place yours in the shade and keep it open to allow air to pass through.
- Play outside, but remember that the sun is the hottest between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., and that you should avoid spending long periods of time in it. This also applies to cloudy days when you are abroad.
- Apply water resistant sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) to exposed skin regularly.
- Remember that the degree of exposure is the same regardless of whether you are playing football, taking a walk or playing on the beach.
- Wear airy cotton clothing with a tight weave and long sleeves and legs.
- During holidays abroad in the sun, you should be especially careful when spending long periods of time in the sun. Be sure to use sunscreen on faces, hands and other body parts that are not covered by clothing.
- If spending a lot of time in the sun or swimming outdoors, use UV protection swimwear and a sun hat with UV protection. See our UPF50 collection here >
With larger pupils and clearer lenses, children are particularly vulnerable to UV exposure, receiving three times the annual UV dose as adults. Because kids spend more time outdoors and have increased exposure to reflective surfaces such as sand, pavement, water and snow, children's risk of ocular UV damage is intensified. Our sunglasses are equipped with unique polarizing lenses gauranteeing comfort and safety. The lenses contain highly efficient UV-filters offering 100 percent protection from harmful rays. The safety bag included also doubles up as a cleaning cloth!